General information & guidelines about the MTB event
After the success of the seven previous Genghis Khan MTB Adventures in Inner Mongolia, Nordic Ways is now preparing for the eighth edition in 2014, which will take place July 4 - July 6, Friday to Sunday. Genghis Khan MTB Adventure is a mountain bike competition in three stages for amateurs and recreational riders. The MTB race will cross the vast grasslands of Xiwuqi, tracing the prints of Genghis Khan. New in 2014 will be a prologue, or an individual time trial race, over approx 5 km on Friday morning. This time trial will stand on its own, however, and will not count for the overall classification.
The venue for Genghis Khan MTB Adventure is Xiwuqi 西乌旗 (Short for Xiwuzhumuqin Qi 西乌珠穆沁旗), a small town about 140 km from Xilinhaote锡林浩特 in the more northern part of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
We recommend that you bring your own air pump, spare parts and some appropriate tools. Some bike fixing service will be provided, and there is a bikeshop opposite start/finish, but it is recommended to be self-relient, so do bring your own stuff if possible
All information about travel and accomodation, including our attractive travel packages, can be found in the Travel & Services section of this website. Brief: recommended accomodation is the two event hotels 'Electricity Hotel' (where the Race Office will be) and 'Xiwuqi Hotel'.
- Mongolian Yurts (tents) Participants can optionally stay in Mongolian yurts on Saturday. The yurts are located at the finish of the second MTB stage. The Tents contain a shower, but it is advised to bring your own shampoo, towel, slippers etc. Beds are standard with pillow and sheets, so no need to bring sleeping bags. Be aware that the temperature at night can drop significantly. Busses will bring your bags and other material to the Yurt City while you ride the 2nd MTB stage.
On the registration form you can book meals at the two event hotels, i.e. breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you like to venture about, Xiwuqi has plenty of small restaurants.
The main specialty food in Inner Mongolia is mutton and milk products. There is limited western food, especially for breakfast where there will be some milk, yoghurt and vegetables/fruit, along with Chinese rice and noodles, but take with you some food of your own if you feel it might be hard for you to eat the local food. Instant coffee is available, however.
- Sun block
- Sun glasses
- Mosquito repellent
- Aspirin and other medicine
- Hygiene articles etc
- Long-sleeved jacket. Given Xiwuqi's altitude, the temperature can drop significantly (relax: it won't freeze neither)
- Travel documents
- Passport/ID (you need these to check in to the Hotel)
- Flashlight (if you are staying at Menggu Hangcheng Saturday July 6)